nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gummosis? on peaches

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gummosis? on peaches
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 13:41:38 -0500

Shirley,

If the gum is on the peaches and forms spots, the peaches have bacterial spot, as in the photos at the following link:   http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/ombactsp.html Bacterial spot is different from gummosis.

 The only spray for bacterial spot is Mycoshield.  Mycoshield should be used after a Champ (copper) or Kocide spray.  Apply the copper at dormancy or prior to 1/2 " green and the Mycoshield at peach shuck split.  If you do not spray, the disease will be worse the following season.  After the original Mycoshield spray you can follow-up the next season with wettable sulfur 95% instead of  Mycoshield and then rotate each successive season.  The sulfur you already sprayed may not have been a sufficient  rate to stop it.  If you need more information, you can contact me at my e-mail address.