nafex - [NAFEX] Graft question

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Graft question
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 15:24:09 -0400

I have apple tree whose root has sent up a sucker, probably because I suspect there's crown gall somewhere underneath the graft.  Question is as both the tree and the rootstock are leafed out, could an inarch graft be done using this rootstock sucker?  I was thinking of lifting the bark on the tree, and have sliced the rootstock off as if whip graft, and removing any other growth from the sucker insert it in the bark and tie down.

Any chance it would work?  Alternatives anyone could suggest?

Thanks,

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W