nafex - Re: [NAFEX] asian pears Lucky Pittman

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] asian pears Lucky Pittman
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:11:24 -0500

Hi Michelle,
  In my climate, zone 4a central MN, Chojuro was a little late to ripen and a little too tender, succumbing to -29F in 2003-4. I had it on OHxF 333 and it may have recovered if it had been on a more vigorous rootstock - my main problem with dwarfs is that they are not vigorous enough to recover from winter damage in one season. It did fruit once before it capitulated but I thought the butterscotch flavor a little too weird, but it may be different in a different location. I much prefer Shinseiki - like crunchy watermelon - and it ripens earlier and is hardier and is still going on 333 although I now have it on OHxF 40 as well.

Dave