nafex - Re: [NAFEX] re partrigeberry cloudberry and salmonberry

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] re partrigeberry cloudberry and salmonberry
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 21:17:00 -0500

I grow a ground cover that is called partridge berry. It might be related to cranberry, but it's a different plant. Of course, the mountain cranberry is very closely related to the common cranberry, but the fruit is quite different. The one I grow has "edible" berries, but they aren't worth the bother. Like mountain cranberries they have a waxy texture and little flavor. They are very small, and there aren't very many on any one plant.

Wintergreen is different from what I call partridge berry - and I don't think it's even vaccinium.

names, names, names.

Ginda