nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best conditions for storing dormant scions?

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best conditions for storing dormant scions?
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:07:30 -0800 (PST)

Leave scionwood on the tree unless a thaw (more than one day over 40 degrees
F.) or
a sudden deep freeze is forecast. Collect the best & most healthy growth you
can.
Put cuttings into a good, tough, air-tight, and CLEAN plastic bag. Label the
bag
well. Put this into another tough bag, which also contains a little water or
a damp
paper-towel. Place in a refrig which doesn't hold any fruit (and,
preferably, no
veggies either), doesn't get opened much, and holds a temperature close to 35
degrees. NAFEX list has had postings from people who store their scionwood
frozen.)
Inspect regularly, to check the moisture in the outer bag, also to check for
dormancy break (more likely after the spring bud-break outdoors.)

Before bagging, do not dip cuttings in anything. Plain is best. Sometimes a
few
cuttings may develop a little mold, but most often this is on the cut ends,
which
will be cut off when prepping for actual grafting.

--- bill dality <> wrote:

> I wonder if others have a problem storing dormant scions harvested in the
> fall
till spring grafting time. The problem does not seem so much to be one of
storage
temperature.
> The scionwood is vulnerable to deterioration and loss of viability during
> this
lenghty storage period either from desication (not enough moisture)or mold
(too much
moisture).Its very difficult to maintain proper moisture content to preserve
> optimal viability.
> Has anyone had success with dipping scions in liquid/molten wax (does the
> heat
not damage the cambium?) or perhaps dipping in a fungicide solution prior to
storage?