nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grocery store peaches and nectarines

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Dennis Norton <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grocery store peaches and nectarines
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 17:28:42 -0600

Extending the season is indeed a good thing and is the basis for the Paul Friday selections. His numbers are not the conventional cultivar numbers of other breeders but are time slots when peaches come ripe so that PF # 1 ripens before PF # 7 and that before PF # 24. A couple of years ago he stopped recomending PF # 7A for PF #7B (or the other way around?) There is not neccesarily any genetic relationship between 7A and 7B (the genetics is not disclosed), the only apparent connection is that they ripen in the same slot. From what I have heard he has been more succesful with retaining quality than most breeders who aim for extending season but all of his 3 or 4 selections that I have tried didn't survive -29 F and I lost them (same goes for the Stellar series) so I don't think he has been quite so successful retaining hardiness. I am getting trees of his 'PF # 24 C, Cold Hardy' for testing.

Dave
Central MN
zone 4a