nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fig Varieties

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fig Varieties
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 12:23:15 -0500

Lisa, although we in the South can get good crops from a large variety of figs, those which will bear well in your area don't seem to do well here. Black Mission, Petite Negri and their improved versions would be worth a try, being that you want to dry them. Most of my figs which do well here are better for fresh eating or preserves. Sybil Mays over at Paradise Nursery in Virginia is our "Fig Lady" for this area and she might steer you to some she has. She could at least advise you as to what she would recommend. She is real busy most of the year, but she always has time to talk figs, unlike our fig advisors. Local fig growers in Oregon, rare as they may be, would probably be happy to advise you and in my opinion, would be your best bet.
Don't believe the catalogs about variety names. We who have bounced around in the fig grower world are frustrated with the lack of solid identification of varieties. Ray Givan in Georgia has a booklet which comes close to dividing them up and it gives some useful information. Dr. Bullard is in NorCar and is our rock hard authority on local figs. I have seen beautiful figs around LA but as you know, Los Angeles has a climate which will grow things which do poorly in other parts of the State.
Black Mission seems to be a favorite there. I remember biting into one which I schlepped from a tree along the side of a road in Tustin, Ca. and got a mouthful of gnats.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8

  • [NAFEX] Fig varieties, Lisa Almarode, 12/30/2005
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] Fig Varieties, Doc Lisenby, 12/31/2005