nafex - Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: deirdreb@mindspring.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] GMO and Breeding
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 20:48:30 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

This is great! A lively discussion on the topic. What better opportunity to
address these issues?

I agree wholeheartedly with some of your concerns, for instance,
concentration of genetic material in the hands of a few, whether they be
corporations or governments is not good. Too much danger in losing diversity.

Also, you made an excellent point in saying that pests and disease organisms
will evolve around plant defenses. It should be remembered that this point
is not unique to transgenic techniques. There is a constant battle between
plants and pests in nature as well. This is one reason why plants, pests and
all other organisms have the natural ability to alter their DNA to new
sequences. We should expect that defenses against pests and pathogens will
not last forever and so we must always seek new ways to keep the balance on
the side of food production.

However, I must respectfully disagree with some other points including that
cross-species exchange of DNA does not occur except in the hands of humans.
Bacteria and viruses are quite distinct from plants, yet they exchange DNA
with plants naturally. By the way, the oft-cited fish DNA into tomato is a
red herring if you will forgive the joke. That experiment was a failure. If
anyone can name a cultivar being used from this experiment, please let me
know. It made good press, but not much else.

This brings me to the next point. The fact is that the agribusiness industry
is >very< strictly regulated. Government regulators do not just "accept"
reports from these companies. It is largely because of the government
oversight (which I support) that these products are so expensive to bring to
market. Even if you buy into the notion that agribusiness is all about
money, these business folks are not stupid. If they ever released an unsafe
food product, they would lose money and lots of it. Even before these
potential products reach the government regulators, they have passed layer
upon layer of safety testing, allergenicity tests, animal trials, metabolism
studies, environmental impact studies, digestion studies, and many other
tests. It is a process that is decidedly more rigourous than food safety
tests for other food products, including the myriad of Ho-Ho's and ring-pops
that pose a real threat to our nation's dietary health.

Another point that was brought up is the trump card against any new
technology: no one knows absolutely everything about the product or what
will happen with it in the future. Of course, no one knows everything about
anything, old or new, but that detail often gets shoved aside. Do we need to
keep scrutinizing food safety, including GMO's? You bet. Should we continue
to research biological fundamentals that could impact these technologies?
Absolutely. However, we should also educate ourselves in biology and realize
that an awful lot >is< known about how genes behave and that responsible use
of that knowledge already benefits humans and non-humans and can continue to
do so.

Respectfully,

Anton