nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Citron

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Citron
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 10:45:51 -0500

According to my Wyman's Gardening Encyclopedia:
Citron/Preserving Melon is Citrullus vulgaris var. citroides. The rind is used for making conserves and sweet pickles.
Citron is Citrus medica, an Asiatic tree, the fruit is yellow and the thick, rough, fragrant rind is candied.
I'm guessing, but I think the fruitcake citron is the imported candied ones you can buy at the grocery store. I just assumed that they were the same thing. They look like watermelon pickles to me. I'll bet those Mexican Americans near Hendersonville could tell you something to do with the citron/preserving melon. If I recall correctly, I saw some growing wild in Mexico. If I saw a Citron Tree in China, Korea, Viet Nam or Japan, I didn't know it.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8