nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:11:48 -0600 (CST)

Dear Marie,

Several years ago I received cuttings of 22 numbered and named
Russian (15) and Iranian (7)pomegranates. One turned out to be a
dwarf and it is the least cold hardy of the bunch (yes, we
occasionally have freezes here). It lives, but has never fruited.
It might be useful as a dwarfing rootstock. Their names are all as
unpronounceable as Sverkhranniy. I have fruited virtually all of the
rest and several are very large and heavily productive, and some are
sweet. The closest to your spelling are R-31 (Saartuzski) and R-5
(Sakerdze). Despite their being collected from very cold climates,
here in Houston(zone 9)they ripen at the same time as well-known
varieties such as Cloud and Eversweet.

If you can spare a cutting of Sverkhranniy, I would like to try it
with its cousins, and see if it is any earlier to ripen. Moreover, if
anyone wants any of mine, I would be happy to provide cuttings. My
address is Ethan Natelson, 8707 Wateka Drive, Houston, TX 77074. I
would reimburse you for any postage, etc. Thank you.

Regards, Ethan