nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:05:57 EST

In a message dated 11/27/2005 8:08:51 AM US Eastern Standard Time, list@ginda.us writes:

Has anyone tried importing Kaki seeds or other material from the
northern edge of its natural range?  There's often a zone or two
difference in the hardiness of plants depending on where the parent
stock originated
.

Hi Ginda,

Yes, about four years ago I had a Chinaman send me about 12 kaki seed from north of Beijing. I asked for seeds from undomesticated kaki. Brought them in legally through APHIS. They croaked the first winter and I mulched to protect the shallow roots that first winter.

Jerry