nafex - [NAFEX] Fruit Antivirals

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fruit Antivirals
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:25:23 -0500

Hello,

I have bben doing research on the antiviral effects of black currants. To my surprise I learned that one of the key components of Tamiflu comes from Star Anise. It can grown up to zone 7, but is frost sensitive. You can read more about that here;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701855.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/arr_html?Illicium+anisatum&CAN=LATIND

Evidently, a variety of black currants known as Kurokarin also has antiviral qualities.

You can read more here;

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/102530291/ABSTRACT

Does anyone have or know the components of black currants varieties other than the Kurokarin variety?

Thanks,
Tom