nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons...unstable?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Persimmons...unstable?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:35:31 -0800

That's a large part of it, but I've been thinking about it for some time trying to come up with an additional explanation to account for the ability to produce limbs of the opposite sex. I think it may work something like the way calico is expressed in cats, with "islands" of tissue where only one of two color genes (black or orange, usually) are expressed. When a limb arises that is opposite sex, it may be that only one of the two chromosomes for sex control is being expressed in that limb. Since both are still present, when you graft from that limb it can go back to the usual sex.
Needs more thinking out and explaining.
-Lon Rombough