nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Why's of persimmon grafting

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Why's of persimmon grafting
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:07:49 -0600

At 07:55 PM 11/21/2005, you wrote:
Why questions:
Why, with the greater damage of blowouts, do you prefer bark grafts over whip grafting? On seedling rootstock, the proper diameter for the scion is there, if not, I do cleft grafts, which also are stronger than bark grafts. In my lack of experience here, please help me understand the attraction of bark grafts for persimmon.
Richard,
The first couple of persimmons I ever did - before anyone told me they were problematic - were just simple whip grafts, not even whip & tongue. They took just fine.
I guess I do bark grafts mainly because they're easy, and work well when there's a major difference between scion and rootstock diameter - and, I *think* there's probably increased cambium contact, as compared to a simple whip.

Why, compared to apples, pears, pawpaws, mayhaw, cherry, etc, is persimmon so particular about removing ALL competing buds on the rootstock? What are the hormonal/physiological reasons that are at play here, that are absent in so many other woody plants?
I don't know the whys or wherefores, it just seems to be a bigger concern with persimmons than with any other species I've dealt with.

LLP