nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Chill Requirements for Zabergrau Reinette apple?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Chill Requirements for Zabergrau Reinette apple?
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 17:11:49 -0800

If anyone has information on the question below, please reply to them directly, i.e. to
Sandy Bar Ranch & Nursery <mail@sandybarnursery.com>
"William A. Grimes" <wagrimes@sonic.net>

Begin forwarded message:

From: "William A. Grimes" <wagrimes@sonic.net>
Date: November 6, 2005 1:58:39 PM PST
To: Lon Rombough <lonrom@bunchgrapes.com>

Do you know any of the NAFEX members who might know this? I searched the Internet but didn't find anything.

Thanks.
Bill Grimes
From: Sandy Bar Ranch & Nursery <mail@sandybarnursery.com>

Dear Folks at CRFG:

I am a member (Mark DuPont, Sandy Bar Ranch & Nursery) and wonder if someone in your organization can help me with a question. A customer recently contacted me concerning the chill requirement of the Zabergrau Reinette apple. She had found references to this variety having extremely low chill requirements and being suitable for southern California. I was not previously aware of Zabergrau's low-chill requirement. This is an extremely high quality apple that I have trialed and carried in my nursery (http://trees.safeshopper.com/3/cat3.htm?270) for some years. I'm surprised and pleased to learn of it's possible low chill requirements, but need to confirm this new info. I did some searching on the web and though I found phrases indexed concerning Zabergrau's low chill requirement, I was consistently unsuccessful at accessing the pages that would give me more information. If there anyone who can provide me with any information or references concerning Zabergrau Reinette's chill requirements I would be extremely appreciative. Thanks.

Mark DuPont

Sandy Bar Ranch & Nursery
PO Box 347, 797 Ishi Pishi Rd.
Orleans, CA, 95556