nafex - Re: [NAFEX] kiwi problem

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] kiwi problem
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 14:43:29 -0400

Chris M. wrote:
"I had a problem with one of my Kiwi's this year and needed some advice."

Chris, our experience this year, and several others in the past, is similar.  That is, our Anna is very reliable during heat and drought, whereas our two other cultivars lose leaves and even fruit during heat and/or drought.

We do not have Jumbo, but Ken's Red is the worst of our three for losing fruit prematurely during a dry spell.  Perhaps Anna's vigor is also underground in its roots, allowing less stress during.

Renewing mulch during the summer and fall, and making sure it stays moist, seems to help.  Remember these roots can't handle standing water.

Richard Moyer
East Tenn
Zone 6