nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstocks again

  • From: "Ethan Natelson, M.D." <natelson@stehlinclinic.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pear rootstocks again
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:01:09 -0500

As mentioned, the Bradford pear is P. calleryana and no better or worse than
other P. calleryana strains as a rootstock. These are probably the most
widely used pear rootstocks in the South because of their good root anchor,
general disease resistance, and ability to support both European and Asian
pears. P. calleryana is also alleged to give some precosity in bearing.
The problem is the size of the tree and in the era of dwarfing rootsystems,
it is not ideal. As Lucky mentions, the size may be controlled to an extent
by various interstems. P. calleryana is not widely used in the North
because of its temperature range.