nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws

  • From: Charles Rhora <rhoras@nuttrees.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaws
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:26:04 -0400

We are in a Zone 4 (temperatures to -35 degrees F.) and have grown paw paw trees for
over 30 years. All of our selections are seedlings grown from the Fairchilds-Zimmerman hybrid, Davis selections,
and other varieties from selected trees.
They have produced fruits up to 10 ounces on many of the trees.
Over the years while transplanting the seedlings, we use a mixture of terralite and other substances mixed
with the soil and have had excellent results. We normally do not transplant until the seedlings are 3 to 4 years
of age. We transplant these in an area that has not been mowed and we let the grass,etc. grow up around the trees
within 2 feet of the trees. The rest we keep mowed. We normally water at least once every 10 days if needed.
This has worked very well for us.

Charles Rhora,
Owner,
Rhora's Nut Farm & Nursery,