nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:49:47 -0500

Tom,
One of the things I tell people is that doing things "the way that
professionals do them" is often the opposite of the simple way.

You sure have an interesting idea. However, the 80-20 principle is in effect
all day long. Meaning, the economics of fruit growing are so marginal that
we have to find the easy way many times to see ourselves gaining a profit.
In any case, the energy-intensive methods of professional apple storage may
soon go the way the tomato growing industry in Massachusetts went after oil
prices rose in the early 1970's.

You didn't say where you live...but here in Massachusetts the hidden
underground storage bunkers of earlier civilizations exist here and there and
can be frequently accessed and rented for just a few dollars a month. Their
conditions are 95% humidity and if properly ventilated, during winter 35-40
degrees, plenty to get your fruit from harvest into the January markets when
prices are high.

Sure you can spend much more to extend storage into april...but that's where
the 80% cost comes into play and that's where it becomes unprofitable. Aim
for the January market for 20% of the effort and be happy.

Charlie Paradise z5 Massachusetts