nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Do-It-0urselves Katrina Relief

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Do-It-0urselves Katrina Relief
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:22:46 -0700

It's acceptable to drift off topic to discuss nearly anything, as long as we
return to list topics. Katrina is an exigent situation, and the primary
concern of many people in the US and across the world.

Your other concerns are ongoing, and ongoing concerns are probably best
addressed other places where the discussion can continue. Perhaps you can
find like-minded people or enlightened people willing to debate such issues.

There's also a matter of inciting contention. I think we expect fairly
universal agreement that Katrina is a huge tragedy, and it's a natural
reaction for people anywhere - on nearly any list - to express a desire to
be of help.

The views you mention are less universal, and if discussed at any length
would very likely result in adversarial posts. This is not a forum for
adversary. Rather, I think it is best and most comfortable as a group of
people with a common goal of exploring fruit varieties, and offering a
respectful forum for airing views and exchanging information and advice.

Personally, I don't mind any single post on any subject, with a few
follow-ups leading to closure of the subject.

For example, your post offered me the welcome opportunity to get to know you
and your views better. You certainly address issues I have very strong
feelings on, but this isn't a forum in which I would respond. Such
followed by appropriate warnings from the moderator to get back on track.

I do hope no one found the information I provided on ways to help Katrina
victims to have been offensive. If anyone does, I welcome getting back on
topic.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate