nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Morus rubra, Red Mulberry

  • From: "Joe Hecksel" <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Morus rubra, Red Mulberry
  • Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 11:15:41 -0400

> Joe,
> I can supply scionwood.

Hi Lucky:

I'd love a stick of the Ky native. I don't think I can afford $70
Canadian. Do you have a NAFEX member discount?

Any hints on successful grafting of mulberry? My success has been
sporatic. Some years 10/12 others 0/10. I just recently did some
budding. I did it later than usual and wrapped the buds less tightly
with the rubber band. I think I may have been crushing earlier budding
efforts because the wood seems to firm up more slowly than apples and
pears. My modest success at grafting mulberries was what kind of had me
leaning toward seedlings.

-Joe

> I've got two good M.rubra selections - actually, I've never
encountered a M.rubra in fruit that wasn't good, but these two, I
think, are better than the average bear.
> One is a local southern KY native, the other is one I selected on a
trip home to AL. Pretty sure the KY selection will work for you up
there, but can't vouch for the winter-hardiness of the AL selection,
though if you high-worked it, it might do just fine.
> If you're interested in even more genetic diversity, I can put my
hands on no less than a dozen different M.rubra trees here on the farm
and on the way in to work, with no difficulty.

> Around here, M.alba is everywhere in town - any untended fencerow,
roadside ditch, flowerbed, etc. is rife with mulberry seedlings, though
callery pears are making inroads, and may soon surpass M.alba as the
predominant non-native urban/suburban weed tree - boxelder and
hackberry still predominate in the native category). But as you move
out toward the city limits, and on out into the country, M.rubra still
reins. I see its unmistakable big, dark green, sandpapery leaves
peeking out from the roadside forest understory, mostly on the small
county roads, and it's scattered here and there throughout the woods on
the farm here in KY, as well as back home in AL.

> Lucky

be used to change other email options):