nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grown sweet potatoes on a pole?

  • From: Pat Scott <quandong@iinet.net.au>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grown sweet potatoes on a pole?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:59:41 +0800

I suggest you don't coddle and feed it excessive nitrogen - or it will be all glossy leaves and no sweet potatoes.

Cheers,
Pat
On 02/08/2005, at 4:11 AM, Charles Paradise wrote:

Decided to coddle one of the sweet potato vines, put a circular hardware cloth around it, fertilized it with foliar and watered with Mir-Acid soluble fertilizer and dug in granular fertilizer. After this special attention, and rain, the plant after only 5 days has doubled in size while others in its row has dwindled while they have continued to be eaten by the rabbit.

I'll coddle this one vine through this August and September New England season - if it can produce then next year I will grow sweet potato again in a manner like pole beans are raised in New England, which is with as described above [hardware cloth + pole]. I'll let you know Oct. 1 how its doing. I'm encouraged by its revival and lusterous appearance but if I'd coddled it earlier it would be much further along now. Thanks for your thoughts on sweet potoatoes on the north and proposal to grow them on a pole.
Charlie Paradise 'too experimental' in z5 Massachusetts