nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grown Sweet Potatoes on a pole

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grown Sweet Potatoes on a pole
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:50:46 -0400

I got tired of problems encountered in field growing sweet potatoes so I planted some slips in cheap Wally World potting soil and put them in the full sun close to the house where I could keep an eye on them. Flea beetles required a dose of Surround but other than that I got a good yield of the small red Japanese sweet potatoes. The leaves are good for greens so I avoided other insecticides. A cheap plastic trellis would keep the vines off the ground if I had desired to do so. Some sweet potatoes can't be grown successfully here because of their susceptibility to a local disease. It is soil-borne so maybe I could avoid it with the use of the potting soil. You have to remove sweet potatoes from the ground as soon as the leaves die and "cure" them with heat. Most commercial producers do a poor job of curing and they produce starchy rather than sugary sweet potatoes. Mine were almost as sweet as yams.
Doc Lisenby Zone 7/8

  • Re: [NAFEX] Grown Sweet Potatoes on a pole, Doc Lisenby, 08/01/2005