nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Purslane germination

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Purslane germination
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:17:13 +0000

I forget when my purslane germinated this year. (Volunteer/ common weed.) I've been putting a handful in omlets for a few weeks, it seems. And earlier this week I weeded up about a square yard, and finally got the better parts into a pot to boil for freezing. I started with a couple plants a couple years ago, which I THOUGHT I weeded before they set seed. Same thing last year-- didn't I pull it all before seeds matured?! This year I weeded even sooner, and yes they had already matured a few capsules of seeds!

Tastey, free, not much pest or disease problems, and I've never known rabbits or woodchucks to graze it.

tc, s.WI, I cook stinging-nettles too.