nafex - RE: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] bitter juneberries
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 12:36:54 -0700

I don't know why they taste bitter to you. Are they fully ripe? I'm a
supertaster (genetically prone to taste certain flavors others don't) and I
can pick up very unpleasant bitter where other's don't - maybe it's your
taste buds more than the berries? Are these by any chance sprayed? I don't
taste bitter in Juneberries - doesn't mean you wouldn't.

No, bitter wouldn't help in a fermented beverage. It's a flavor component,
and if it's unpleasant eaten, drinking it wouldn't help. Salt won't draw
out the bitterness - it would just add saltiness. Drying might work,
because the concentration of sugar might hit your taste buds with enough
oomph to overwhelm the bitter flavor.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate