nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Nurse limbs.
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:12:52 -0500

At 06:31 AM 6/3/2005, you wrote:
Now, pecans &hickories do OK for me with nurse limbs, but I break them over about halfway out from the trunk, and keep the terminal buds pinched out of any new, vigorous growth that sprouts out on them, in order to keep anything resembling a terminal bud from reaching a height greater than the base of the graft.
This I have not been doing with persimmon and really needs be checked out. I'd almost have to use past experience as a control group. Am still grafting and will try a few. Biggest problem will be remembering to pinch off the nurse limbs new sprouts.
Persimmon likes to send out new growth.
Jerry, I've been doing a few(less than 6) persimmons in this manner this year, and results have not been very good - though the scionwood I used for a couple of the grafts was of questionable viability - small amounts of a kaki variety from a friend in PA, and I'm thinking it must have gotten fried during the winter, before it was cut.  As is the case with scions grafted onto a single stem, you've got to check those 'nurse limbs' almost daily to keep vigorous shoots pinched back.
All in all, I've had much better success grafting onto a single stem and keeping shoots below the graft rubbed off .

Lucky