nafex - [NAFEX] pear pollination question

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pear pollination question
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:48:26 +0000

I think I got this idea from a list post of a couple years ago. Are some pear flowers so large that small-sized pollinators can land on a petal, crawl to the center to collect nectar, and never touch pollen? Can a pear tree be full of bloom-season insect activity but, because of the above, not get pollinated?

My favorite pear tree which in the past seemed to be self-fruitful, regular generous crops, has in recent years not been so bountiful. It is always more or less full of flowers (and tiny flying insects!) at bloom season, but only yields a few fruits. This spring pollen was available from other cultivars, but altho there was good fruit-set on these others, still very few on this tree.

I wish I had thought to examine and compare all these cultivars' flowers. And, I have to wait another year to try some hand pollinations. The only other obvious variable is, in those past bountiful years there were more honey bee hives in the neighborhood.

I don't recall seeing bumble bees working this tree. I hate to think I wouldn't notice them.

Ideas, please, for what I should plan to try next year. Thanks!