nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy Organically

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy Organically
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 16:48:52 -0400

On May 1, 2005, at 3:43 PM, Pat Meadows wrote:

We don't seem to have any poison ivy in this area
(Appalachian Mountains in northern Pennsylvania). It
surprised me, but I have not seen any in four years of
living here and I recognize it when I see it.

I can only assume the winters are too cold for it (the
lowest temperature we've experienced here is -26 F).
Anyway, it doesn't seem to be here.

Pat
--

I think you're right about the temperature. There's a fairly sharp line in NH and upstate NY between where the poison ivy grows, and where it doesn't. I'm pretty sure it corresponds to winter low temps. At any rate, I know several places where it grows next to the water, or in the valley, but doesn't grow once you get a little elevation.

Ginda