nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulch (was gypsum)

  • From: "breezyhill" <breezyhill@myway.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulch (was gypsum)
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:04:18 -0400 (EDT)

--- On Tue 04/19, Thomas Olenio < tolenio@sentex.net > wrote:

From: Thomas Olenio [mailto: tolenio@sentex.net]
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:30:57 -0400

Using carpet for mulch sounded like such a great idea, that I picked up a pile of the

from curbside one year, cut it into strips, and had terrific weed-free rows comfy to walk on. However, by fall, the jute had been destroyed by moisture and composting action of the soil, leaving me with long shreds of nylon yarn buried in the soil. It took three years to hand pick this stuff out of the garden, and

II am still finding clots of it. It works for some people, but be aware it needs to be removed as soon as it starts to fall apart. And the quack grass grows right through it.
Hi,

This being spring, and spring clean-ups happenening everywhere...

Do not forget that used jute backed, carpet makes a great weed block. You
can collect acres of it curbside this time of year.

Cut the carpet in 3' round circles or squares, put a slice in it to the
center point, and you have a mulch mat.

Put the jute side facing up and slide around tree. Blocks weeds, rain
goes through it, it holds moisture in the ground, and can be removed
easily in the fall. Best of all it is FREE.

I would not spend my money on expensive weed mats, when they are all
around us for free. Invest in fruit, not mulch mats. Recycle, reduce,
re-use.

Later,
Tom