nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple trees unusual color

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple trees unusual color
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:42:50 -0500

Hi Richard, hope I can be of some help.
Barring some problem that the Internet cannot "see", I would say you are
fine. Most
of the trees in my daily travel path all have red-barked young growth. Its
normal.
The Dolgo in my front yard does it every year. We have had a dry spring,
although
this weekend helped immensely, and weren't those red branches gorgeous after
the
rain? Why does this coloring occur so strongly here in Maine? My theory is
our
fluctuating spring temps, with the air temps at 60+ degrees (74 many times
even in
early April) then 20's at night, and all this while the tree's roots are
still
frozen! Kinda like our checks getting red when cold then warmed and vice
versa...?
If there is no shriveling of bark and the terminal buds look good, as well as
healthy wood beneath the red bark, you are good to go. Welcome to the
variance of
zones in Maine!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine