nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Ants on Apples

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Ants on Apples
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:40:54 -0400

Ginda, it could be that the ants are merely opportunists.  As you probably know, from you medical background, some human disease organisms only feast on damaged tissue.  I removed two old failed grafts this morning  which were still covered with grafting tape and both of them had ants under the tape.  These ants were of two types, one type was brown and the other was black.  Of course some ants select mainly protein foods and others select carbohydrates.  Fire ants are not attracted to carbohydrates but prefer proteins.  These may be a seasonal preferences.  I don't know.  Maybe our entomologist member has a better explanation.
Doc