nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MM111 graft height & burr knots?

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MM111 graft height & burr knots?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 07:08:31 -0500

Hi All,
I have been reading a very interesting book called "The Expert Gardener"
written
in the 1640's. Grafting is described in detail as is nutrition, pests, and
disease. A liberal mix of fact and superstition, although not having tried the
many different ways to make apples red described therein, I cannot discount
them.
But on the subject of grafting height, the book offers what seems to me to be
good advice: On rich soil, graft as high as possible, and on poor soil graft
as
low as possible. It would be interesting to discover if the amount of time
that
soil-based nutrients spend in the rootstock, depending on soil type,
influences
the grafted variety. I have read other, much more allusions to this being
true,
but I have not found a clear physiological explanation. Maybe someone out
there
can expound on this a little? Maybe more direct acess to nutrients helps the
variety on bad soil, and the higher graft helps keep too much of the goodies
causing to much vigorous veggie growth?
Heron