nafex - [NAFEX] bird netting ... (and pear rooting)

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bird netting ... (and pear rooting)
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 00:16:10 -0700

Gourock 3/4-inch mesh nylon net is horrendously expensive, but it was what I could find a few years back. I justified it at the time as a lifetime investment to share between cherries and blueberries. Worked great. (My birds were going right through the usual garden-store plastic bird netting.)

I found a somewhat more economical netting source this year, nylon 1/2-inch mesh that looks like it could do the job -- see the Lee Valley garden tool catalog (page 60 item #PA205 and #PA206). Comes in 12-foot width, 12 x 29 is $31.50, 12 x 117 is $109. There's also a cheaper 1-1/4 inch mesh, but that's probably too big a mesh for bird protection.

I also keep meaning to mention for the folks trying to root pears, Lee Valley also offers an interesting-looking air-layer rooting kit ("rooter pot"). I wondered if it would by chance work for black raspberries, so I ordered a set to try.

I hate those guys -- they are always finding stuff I can't do without. :-)

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO
(where it's been entirely too warm so far this year, and the orchard is responding. Ure pear is in bloom already!)

  • [NAFEX] bird netting ... (and pear rooting), Pete Tallman, 04/03/2005