nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sheepsnose, Gilliflower, Apple Scents

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sheepsnose, Gilliflower, Apple Scents
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:42:32 -0500

The redflesh apple used for the pie was simply referred to as "Redflesh", which I received from Harry Burton at Appleluscious, in BC. On some listings it is referenced as a crab apple, but this one was actually a full size apple. It was evidently a nice surprise for Harry, who was expecting a smaller apple. It was tart, sweet, tangy and quite juicy, all at the same time. St. Lawrence also lists a Winter Redflesh in their catalogue, and Derry is sending me a Redflesh from his inventory. Lots of confusion here.
To make things even more convoluted, I acquired some scionwood from Edmonton this winter, for a local variety known as Red Wonder, and the description resembles the Redflesh I received from Harry. I'll have to wait and compare once they've all fruited. So, no, it was not Burford's Redflesh, which I also have but has not yet fruited. Regardless of the variety, give it a try, since the pie looked amazing.

Cheers, Bizmark
Creemore Zone 5

----- Original Message ----- From: "Regina Kreger" <regina@kreger.net>