nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sheepsnose, Gilliflower, Apple Scents

  • From: "Biz Storms" <biz.storms@sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sheepsnose, Gilliflower, Apple Scents
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:57:38 -0500

We made a country apple pie with some Braeburns, a Black Gilliflower and a Redflesh Crab ( leftover from a taste test ). The redflesh gave it a wonderful appearance and turned the juices a light pink. The Braeburns and B. Gilliflower held their shape, while the Redflesh really softened. The best part was that the three distinct tastes made each bite a little different. Although I wouldn't want an entire pie made from the Sheepnose, as it would be too intense, it really contrasted with the sweeter Redflesh. The taste of the Gilliflower also melded well with the cinnamon, since it has a somewhat lingering, rich taste. Even though it is a fairly dry apple, the Braeburns and the Redflesh compensated.

On a slightly different angle, Gilliflower, comes from the French word girofle, which means "a clove" - as the Cornish Gilliflower supposedly smells like cloves when it's cut open. I haven't had the chance to find out, since the deer swiped all my first crop of fruit off the tree before it could mature. ( This was before I discovered Plantskydd. ) Beyond that, I'm not sure how the Gilliflower part of the name was transfered to the Black Gilliflower, since I haven't smelled anything clove-like when cutting into a Black Gilliflower. Same as for the Winter Banana.

Do these scents attributed to certain apples become stronger, or even evident, when grown in different conditions. Does anyone know about this?

Cheers, Bizmark
Creemore, Zone 5

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Hansen" <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net>