nafex - [NAFEX] re: Apple Bagging

  • From: Stefan Brandle <sbrandle@css.tayloru.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] re: Apple Bagging
  • Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 21:28:30 -0500

John's post reminded me that I had put together a web page with some pictures that helps you see that the bagging really does make a difference.

http://www.css.taylor.edu/~sbrandle/apples/

I didn't try the ziplock bags; that would probably be much faster that trying to tie
them on the way I did. Given that I also saw a suggestion of larger apples when bagged
(a "hot house" effect?), the heavier ziplock bags might have a greater
effect. And as John said, you quickly discover that water accumulates in the bags, so
it is good to take a tiny snip out of the corners for drainage.

Paper bags work ok, but I had the worst time getting the bags on. And then
you have no idea what is happening inside the paper bag. The fruit could have
met a June drop fate and you wouldn't be any the wiser. This leads me to
prefering clear plastic.

-sb
Eastern Indiana Zone 5b where I'm trying to decide whether I can sneak in a
couple more plant orders this month. :-)