nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Manchurian Bush Apricot

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Manchurian Bush Apricot
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:19:48 -0600

Hi Doreen, et all,
Mail order catalog "bush apricots" are P. armeniaca "Manchurica", aka
Manchurian apricot, the hardy rootstock for northern apricot varieties. It
grows 12' to 15' if left to its own devices and the matter of whether it is
a bush or a tree is for the grower to decide - either is easily
accomplished by your pruning choices alone. It is not P.armeniaca
"Siberica" the 5-6' high shrubby relative that also makes a good and maybe
dwarfing rootstock for apricot but has a poorer fruit - dry as a cob with
only slightly more pulp. Manchurica fruit is pale orange, small (around and
inch), soft, acidic and not very sweet so it isn't much for eating out of
hand. It does however make the most wonderful jam as the intense and
genuine apricot flavor holds up very well to added sugar and the color
deepens with cooking. Both are hardy to -40 F if the seed source hasn't
been contaminated with European apricot, which it often is. It is way early
to bloom, just before the cultivated varieties.

Dave

used to change other email options):