nafex - RE: [NAFEX] apples after arbor vitae/oops

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] apples after arbor vitae/oops
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:08:21 -0800

There is no allelopathy I know of. How are you planning to remove the
trees? I think your main concern is just how much root material you leave
in the soil, and how big the pieces are. I don't think you can really get
away with just cutting the trees down - I believe you would need to pull
them, then replenish the soil with topsoil and compost.

Orchards are exchanged to improve productivity, and farmers do often
fumigate the soil between removal and replanting, but I wouldn't unless I
had a problem - even then, I'd use an organic method.