nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Che on Osage Orange

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: fruitopia@nexet.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Che on Osage Orange
  • Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:45:11 -0600

At 10:28 AM 12/2/2004 -0500, David wrote:
>From experience, I would change this advice a bit by recommending the grafts onto osage orange be low, near the ground. Osage orange wood has prominent strong sharp spines, whereas che wood has no spines at all.

I'll agree with you on that count, that scions from mature, fruiting Che are thornless, but Deb was indicating a desire for some thorns in the mix, and I figured she could get both by high-working the OO to Che.
I've not seen it, but have heard reports that seedling Che is VERY thorny, and suckers profusely to form a nearly-impenetrable forest of thorny stems.

Lucky