nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How to become a "fruit explorer"

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How to become a "fruit explorer"
  • Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 13:16:15 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Deb Schneider

I am fascinated with the stories in Pomona about people riding around their neighborhoods discovering interesting fruits.  I'm wondering do folks knock on doors and ask to try the fruit or collect a sample?  How does one go about identifying what's safe to eat and what isn't?  I don't know a scion from a sapling...is there a good VERY basic book that describes what NAFEX experts are doing when the take a piece of a tree and start a new plant?

There's no replacement for first hand knowledge, visiting other orchards, research projects & botanical gardens & talking face to face with people. Especially seeking out the old timers in your area that have been doing it a long time & hobnobbing with them. You'll learn a lot of things you won't find in a book or on the net.

mIEKAL