nafex - Re: [NAFEX] New Canadian cherries

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] New Canadian cherries
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:58:31 -0800

Some years ago I went through a very large cherry collection at Oregon State U. that Dr. Maxine Thompson was working with at the time. One thing noted about the self-fertile cherries (there weren't many then) was that they had more problems with fruit rots because they set such large clusters that if one cherry was affected, it raced through the whole cluster with so many fruits all jammed together. I don't know if that's a problem with the new ones, but it might be something to watch for on self-fertile cherries.
-Lon Rombough