nafex - [NAFEX] apple tree dormancy

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple tree dormancy
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:56:45 -0500

I noticed something odd today. I have a random seedling crab apple, to which I have grafted six branches of eating apples. (Karmijn x2, Cox, Ribston, Ashmead, and Tydeman's late orange) Most of the leaves of the crab have fallen, and the rest have all turned yellow. But five of the six grafted branches are still fully green, and the other looks like it has died (the cox). So I would say that dormancy is definitely not controlled by the rootstock, although I suppose it might have an influence.

Note that this is the same tree that frustrates me every year as the crab branches flower and fruit, and the grafted branches just grow leaves. Note also that except for the cox, the grafted branches look quite healthy, and some of them have gotten very large. (especially the Ashmead and Ribston, which are on the sunniest side) So the tree looks irregular, and a little sad, when it is in bloom. The grafts were done in 1999 and 2000. The tree only gets a few hours of full sun each day, which is my working hypothesis for the troubles getting it to bloom.

Ginda Fisher