nafex - [NAFEX] Bird-proof Amelamchier

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bird-proof Amelamchier
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:47:03 -0600

The secret to growing Amelanchier AND being able to harvest all of its
fruit is to plant them out in the woods. Sounds ridiculous but consider
this: The birds that live around people are rarely found out in the woods.
That's because hawks, owls and most other predators live out in the woods
and not around people.
We, at Brambleberry Farm grow nearly all of the fruit that we make into
jams and jellies but we don't grow those fruits that the birds favor most.
For those, we go to the woods to pick where we don't have any competition
from birds. And yes, we do make/sell christmas gift baskets that also
include maple syrup and wild rice.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN

  • [NAFEX] Bird-proof Amelamchier, Jim Fruth, 11/01/2004