nafex - RE: [NAFEX] growing degree days

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] growing degree days
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:30:33 -0700

I just read a news article that suggests the "growing degree day" model
does not work for all kinds of fruit, most notably apples:

--- from http://www.leelanaunews.com/editorial.php?id=995 (Michigan)
The onset of the fall apple harvest is about a week behind schedule.
Unlike stone fruits such as cherries, peaches and plums, most apple
varieties are not affected by accumulative seasonal temperatures. For
example, the plum harvest is usually completed long before the beginning
of the apple harvest. This year, it's two weeks behind normal.

"Apples respond in a different way," Nugent explained. "You predict the
time of harvest based more on when they reach bloom in the spring and
the temperatures in the weeks right afterward."

There are some exceptions, however. The Gala apple variety behaves more
like a stone fruit, affected greatly by longterm temperature trends.

"Normally, Galas are harvested before (McIntosh). The Mac harvest is
underway and we haven't started Gala yet."

What is the growing model for apples called (bloom time and heat right
after bloom)? And to complicate matter further, some apples like Gala
don't fit the growing model of the typical apple. Curious.

-Mark Lee, Seattle, z8a