nafex - [NAFEX] Pear tree question

  • From: "Rodney Eveland" <reveland@collinscom.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pear tree question
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:20:24 -0600

I have a URE and 2 others. Although fireblight strikes them all every
year and I prune it off, it doesn't seem to do any real harm like it
does to my Sweet Sixteen apples.
Perhaps you've heard of the movie about the boy in the bubble. If you
live in an area where fireblight has good conditions for it's spread
and growth, you might consider some other crop if you can't afford a
pear in a bubble. One thing you might try is not fertilizing your pear
trees for the first few years and perhaps never or only in the fall
after they have gone dormant.