nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apples from seed

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apples from seed
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:19:57 -0400

Hi,

There are a couple of apples that are more true to parent from seed. I believe Fameuse (Snow) is one of them.

What accounts for this I am unsure.

Later,
Tom

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:43:33 -0700, Mark Lee <markl@nytec.com> wrote:

It is well known that apples don't come true from seed. The apple
seedlings will rarely produce fruit that is the same as the mother tree.
An article I read today says this is because apples tend to result from
cross-pollination, not self pollination. I know that apples benefit
from cross-pollination, but I don't think that explains why apples vary
so much between generations. Can someone with a better grasp of
genetics than I have explain what is going on.

-Mark Lee, Seattle

--