nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Plastic bag apples

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Plastic bag apples
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 09:58:23 -0700

Here is my update...
I'm not sure how many apples are bagged, maybe 50 total on two different
trees (Mutsu, Golden Russet, Yellow Delicious, Winter Banana, Pacific
Pride). Sorry I haven't kept good statistics. I haven't kept track of
how many apples have dropped with bags, but when this happens I transfer
the bag to a new apple. I used cheap plastic sandwich bags, the kind
with a fold down flap. Nothing is ripe yet. I'm already seeing worm
damage on the unbagged apples. No bagged apples have worm damage.
Apples in the bags in direct sun in almost 100'F weather show no heat
damage in the bags. They show no scab while unbagged apples show the
scarring of scab already. There appears to be no size difference
between bagged and unbagged fruit.
So far the cheap baggie method appears to be an excellent way to grow
blemish free organic apples in my backyard. Maybe next year I will keep
better records.
-Mark Lee, Seattle