nafex - [NAFEX] oregon grape jelly

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] oregon grape jelly
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:58:06 -0700

Diane Whitehead said she is one "who likes Oregon grape for tangy
jelly". This is not a true grape, but rather a relative of barberry.
Its scientific name is Mahonia aquifolium, and it grows wild in the
Pacific Northwest. I have only tried Oregon Grape fresh picked, and it
has never been a pleasant experience. It is too bitter for my taste. I
wonder if the cooking process transforms the fruit into something more
edible, similar to what happens to black currants. Does anyone like the
taste of fresh Oregon Grapes? How does it compare to Oregon Grape
jelly?
-Mark Lee, Seattle

  • [NAFEX] oregon grape jelly, Mark Lee, 07/19/2004