nafex - [NAFEX] Sambcus racemosa

  • From: Bob Sorenson <natvwine@cut.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Sambcus racemosa
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:56:54 -0600

The red elderberry is one of those fruits that is edible, poison and
medicinal depending on which book you consult.
Many old timers in these parts (Utah) have been making and eating jelly from
this fruit for some 150 years. Also, the elk on our mountains love them very
much.
I have made and enjoyed wine from this fruit but there are caveats; pick the
berries VERY ripe and be careful with your consumption of mass quantities.
The fruit contains cyanogenic glucocides (scary huh?) and the cyanide will
definetely affect your metabolism.
However you process the fruit you will notice a bright yellow oily substance
that comes to the top that contains most of the cyan. Skim this off and
throw away.
good luck,
bob sorenson