nafex - [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense.

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] The squirrel pressure is just too intense.
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 13:44:38 -0500

The squirrels did in my 4 trees of peach crop in June, then ended the month
by chewing the little pears from my reliable old tree and throwing them on
the ground. My best plum crop ever is waiting and I am wondering if it will
go the way of the peaches and pears.

The squirrel pressure is just too intense. I throw barley seed on the
ground, turn it over, and by the time I make the back stairs to the house up
to 5 are already working the seed.

Short of trapping and gassing, can anyone think of natural controls for
squirrels that can be brought to bear? I've thought of taking a 10' pole
and mounting it high on a tall alder as an extended naked surface the raptors
could land on to look the area over.

Locally been told the 3 main predators of squirrel are:

1. Fisher .......... we have fishers here in the area
2. Pine Martens ............... they're much further north in the northern
woods of NH and Maine
3. Red Tailed Hawks .......... we got plenty hawks, don't know which
species.

Charlie Paradise
getting gnawed out in zone 5 / Massachusetts